Sports In Jharkhand
Cricket, Hockey and football are popular games with the people of Jharkhand. Jharkhand has given some brilliant players like Jaipal Singh, a former Indian hockey captain and Olympian and Manohar Topno, Vimal Lakra, currently playing for the Indian Hockey team. Jaipal Singh was the captain of the hockey team that won the first gold medal for India in Olympic games 1928 at Amsterdam. Mahendra Singh Dhoni who is the captain of Indian cricket team and the best wicket keeper batsman for India till date and led the Indian Cricket Team to ICC Cricket World Cup Glory on 2 April 2011 ending a 28-year wait to repeat the feat achieved by former Indian captain Kapil Dev in 1983 at Lords, England. Another rising cricketer from Jharkhand is Varun Aaron, India's fastest bowler and Saurabh Tiwary, left hand hard hitting batsman of India who represented Mumbai Indians from the 2008 Indian Premier League and currently playing for Royal Challengers Bangalore. He was one of the key batsmen in the Indian team that won the 2008 U/19 Cricket World Cup in Malaysia. Ashunta Lakra, sister of Vimal Lakra was the Indian Hockey Captain. And one of the emerging sport personality is Deepika Kumari, a young athlete who competes in the event of Archery. She won gold medal in the 2010 Commonwealth games in the women's individual recurve event.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Captain, Indian Cricket team. Under Dhoni's captaincy, India won the 2011 World Cup. Dhoni is the only captain in the ODI history to score a century while batting at No.7. He did this against Pakistan on 30th December 2012.
Indian Women's Hockey Team
Deepika Kumari - Archer
She won gold medal in the 2010 Commonwealth games in the women's individual recurve event. She also won gold medal in the same competition in the women's team recurve event along with Dola Banerjee and Bombayala Devi. Currently ranked World No. 2. She was conferred with Arjuna Award, India's second highest sporting award in the year 2012 by President of India Pranab Mukherjee.
Mishal Banjamin Lakra - International Boxer
- 56th Senior National Boxing Championship at Hyderabad, 2009 - Silver
- 34th National Games (Men Boxing) 2011 at Jamshedpur - Gold
- 65th All India Inter Railway Men Boxing Championship at Karnail Stadium - Silver
Laxmi Padiya - International Boxer
- 9th Senior Women National Boxing Championships at St. John's College, 2008 - Bronze
- 58th All India Police Women Boxing Championship, Pune, 2010 - Gold
- 11th Senior Women National Boxing Championships at Thrissur, 2010 - Silver
- 34th National Games (Women Boxing) 2011 at Jamshedpur, 2011 - Gold
- 60th All India Police Women Boxing Championship, 2012 - Gold
Diwakar Prasad - International Boxer
- 56th Senior National Boxing Championship at Hyderabad, 2009 - Bronze
- Sahara 57th Senior National Boxing C'ship at Talkatora Indoor Stadium 2010 - Bronze
- 65th All India Inter Railway Men Boxing C'ship at Karnail Stadium 2011 - Gold
- Sahara 58th Senior Men National Boxing C'ship at Alagappa Engineering, 2012 - Gold